The refraction service determines the optical requirements necessary to correct the client’s visual refractive error. The service includes the provision of affordable visual aids in the form of spectacles and speciality contact lens to those that require them.
It also provides low vision devices for clients who suffer from permanent visual impairment and prosthetic eye implants to clients who have physically lost their eyeballs due to disease or trauma injury
The benefits of the refraction service are:
- Restoration of visual acuity allowing for the use of full visual potential.
- Full visual potential allows for improved school and work performance.
- Accessible and affordable access to visual aids.
- Improvement in quality of life for visually disabled persons through the provision of low vision devices and the instruction in low vision orientation and mobility.
- Improvement in the psychological and social interactions of clients who have lost an eye by providing and maintaining aesthetically pleasing prosthetic eyes.